Employee Help

Thanks for visiting the Vendorpass employee help portal. Whether you're a 1099 independent contractor or a W-2 consultant, you've come to the right place—a place where you'll get answers to our most frequently asked employment questions.

Give us a ring.

If you'd rather chat, no worries. We're happy to take your call: 1-877-699-2297

Contact your representative.

Get in touch with your go-to employment guide: generalsupport@vendorpass.com

Send us a question.

Have a question that's not addressed below? No problem. Email: generalsupport@vendorpass.com

Frequently Asked Questions

To get your personal records/employee work verification, please call our partner, The Work Number, at 1-800-367-2884, and use the Vendorpass pin (14697).
Following onboarding, you should have received an email and possibly a phone call from your representative. If you're unsure, please email generalsupport@vendorpass.com.com.
For current consultants, in the Employee Self Service (ESS) through the MyInfo site. If you have difficulty accessing the ESS or logging in, or you're a former consultant, please contact your consultant services representative.
Please contact your consultant services representative so that they can work with payroll to send you your paycheck.
Please contact your consultant services representative to find out.
Your W-2 is mailed to your home address by payroll. If you need an additional copy, whether you're a current or past employee, you can get one here: W-2 process.
Your 1099 is mailed to your home address by payroll, unless you opted for federal tax classification "C Corporation" or "S Corporation" on the W-9 form. In either case, if you need a copy, please contact your consultant services representative.
Timesheet submittal instructions are included in your "First Day Details" email prior to your start date. If you're already working and need instructions, please contact your consultant services representative.
You can find our privacy policy here.
Prior to your start date, someone from the Onboarding Central Team will contact you to help you complete your documents. If you have any questions, please email Christine.Mullen@vendorpass.com.
Your consultant services representative is your advocate for human resource matters. Once you contact them, they'll help you resolve any issue.
Your consultant services representative can get you a new form to change your information. They can also communicate with payroll and USVerify, our direct deposit vendor, to answer any questions.
The 1099 contractors we serve are at the heart of what we do. From the moment you’re onboarded, you’ll have a dedicated consultant services representative to help you through the entire lifecycle of your employment. We can act as your back office, handling invoicing, completing administrative paperwork and navigating legalities for you. We're happy to shoulder the costs of background checks and pre-hire screenings. Not to mention, client invoicing is a breeze and payment is guaranteed at standard intervals, rather than when a client invoice is processed.

Our W-2 employees also enjoy similar advantages, with an easy cloud-based onboarding process, full ACA-compliant benefits with 401(k) and access to an e-learning center for training. Best of all, we constantly work to improve your experience. By hosting quarterly surveys and gathering feedback, we're always evolving to make your consultant experience better and better.